From the „BHKW des Monats“ (CHP plant of the month) reports about especially sound CHP projects published by the „Energie & Management“ professional newspaper, a jury of the B.KWK e.V. (German cogeneration association) selects the „BHKW des Jahres“ project at the end of the year. After our CHP plant in the Maritm Berghotel Braunlage had already been elected in 2009 (see „CHP plant of the year 2009“ entry below), a SOKRATHERM CHP plant in an industrial site has been elected „BHKW des Jahres“ again in 2014.
The plant consisting of two customized CHP units type GG 140 installed in the production site of Rhode AG in Nörten-Hardenberg has been designed by the engineering office Geese in Hardegsen. It supplies power, heating and up to 110 °C process heat with a total efficiency of 96 % to the company Rohde AG which is specialized in surface refinement and industrial grips.
The CHP plant was awarded as an excellent example for the rational, climate-friendly and economic use of energy with cogeneration. The jury was especially convinced by following aspects:
1. The very well engineering based on a thorough analysis and optimisation of the total heat supply system of the company’s production and buildings resulting in a sophisticated heat cascade for the energy-savig heat supply with process heat and building heating.
2. The very detailed analysis of the energy flows and thermodynamic conditions of the whole production process which led -in cooperation with the CHP supplier- to an exactly matching design of the whole CHP plant.
3. The good cooperation with the company’s excecutives and technology experts which allowed to reduce the required flow temperatures substantially and therefore made large energy savings and at the same time the deployment of CHP units possible.
4. The high efficiency of the energy supply including effective condensing heat utilisation.
5. The best practice effect of this well designed and coordinated concept which can -provided the engineering know-how is available- be transferred to many mid-sized companies also of totally different industries in a similar manner.
With the comprehensive renewal of the energy supply, Rohde AG could reduce its energy cost by 48 % and achieved a payback time of ca. 3 years. Further project information can be found in the „BHKW des Monats“ report Wärme-Staffel Wärme-Staffel.